Tuesday 10 May 2016

Self examination



Matthew 7:21-23New International Version (NIV)
True and False Disciples
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

I find these words of Jesus very sobering.  They should cause all of us to examine ourselves and ask the question, “ Am I a true believer, or have I deceived myself”?  You will notice that these people whom he is talking about actually prophesied and did miracles in his name.  They will think that they know Jesus only to find out too late that they were wrong and he whom they claimed to serve will say that he NEVER!  Knew them.  Not once you were a Christian and then fell away ( real ones are secure in the lord) but that right from the start they were never true disciples.

It also shows that doing mighty works is no guarantee of God’s acceptance.  You will note that it is their works that they are claiming makes them belong to him.
We have to remember that contrary to what the TV commercials may say when we are told, “ WE are worth it”, we are not worth it.  God in in his love has provided a sacrifice for us even when we were his enemies.  He did not have to do that.
I do not think we should take these verses and use them to judge other people who profess Christ.  What we should do is take these verses and use them to shine a light into our own lives and if there is anything we find there that is in doubt, then we need to address the issue before it is too late.

Self-examination is a good thing.

No comments: